Saturday 28 January 2012

Sweet Potato Moment - Sun 22 Jan

At the end of our 40Km(!) first day, we are rewarded with a boat journey along the Mekong river, drinking fresh coconut juice and watching the stunning sun set. As we reach the home of the family we’re staying with, I’m prepared to commit serious crime for a hot shower (and a cold beer). Even though there is no hot water, not even a shower for that matter (really more of a tap and a bucket), the sensation of pouring water over aching limbs feels blissful. I may have cheated a little though. See, Ben, my Aussie biking buddy wasn't feeling very well and really didn’t want to brave the cold water. So when he asked for some water to be boiled for him, I may have been slightly over-solicitous: “Yeah Ben, you should totally get hot water. Don’t want you getting sicker!!!”. So what if I took a little of it (it was very little. Really!)?

By the second day, we pick up the pace and I’m doing exceptionally well, much thanks to the encouragement of my travel companions. As we cycle through the lush green fields of sweet potatoes stretching for kilometers to the eye, everything just falls into place. Any worry (no matter how trivial) I was feeling just melts away. I am having a perfect moment of happiness. A perfect sweet potato moment!


On our way to the (basic) hotel the second evening, I think of the beautiful Pina Colada that I am NOT having tonight. This does not prevent me from unleashing Becky (my occasional alter ego) on my travel companions. Becky typically makes incredibly shallow and out of context remarks in a high pitched voice such as: “OMG, I’m like so hitting the Jacuzzi tonight” and “will you look at my nails? I sooo need a mani!”. It’s entertaining to watch their faces as they decide whether or not to take me seriously. Thankfully humor flows in abundance and the decision is easily made with Aussie Chris chiming in: “I’m so booking a massage by the pool”.

By the third and last day, I am cycling right behind Hao, our guide. I’m all: “Come on people! We have a schedule to keep!”

After three intensive but amazing days, I have become a seasoned almost amateur biker in this “Tour de Fruit”. Hear me roar (or at the very least ring my bell)!

2 comments:

  1. I'm giggling because I can see you in all instances of each day. :) It made me smile and glad you're having a great time. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BubbaLou. Don't recognize who you are though. Remind me? XX

      Delete